The scarf can trace its origins back to Ancient Rome where it was known as a sudarium in Latin which means sweat cloth in English and was used as a glorified handkerchief. It’s easy to see that the scarf has come a long way. Today this garment is worn for religious purposes to cover the head, is used as a fashion accessory and even provides sun protection. Owing to the many reasons why scarves are wardrobe essentials, it is only obvious that scarf trends would evolve over the years. Every year sees a few new scarf trends, and many just carry over from the year before and keeping that in mind we can expect a few surprises regarding the scarf trends in 2018. Read further to know more.
6 The Tartan Scarf Will Be Big in Fall/Winter 2017-2018
What better place to start when discussing scarf trends than the upcoming winter months; when the temperatures are bound to get low, and most folks would prefer to cover up! It is during this time of the year that Tartan scarves most often make a comeback. So, do not be surprised if you see people on the street rocking a tartan scarf. The tartan scarf is characterized by its unique pattern of crisscrossed bands in various colors. The tartan scarf trend for late 2017 and early 2018 will be purely limited to street fashion, and you can benefit from rocking the tartan scarf, white tee, skinny blue jeans and blue blazer look. This look works for both men and women, and while it is not completely a new trend, we predict that it would be just as popular this winter as it was the last time winter came around. Tartan scarves are freely available and comparatively non-expensive, so there is no reason why you can’t rock these winter accessories.
5 Scarves at the Paris Fashion Week
The month of October saw the end of the Paris Fashion Week which is truly influential on trends for spring 2018. As always, the Parisians truly know how to rock a scarf, and the Paris Fashion Week brought a lot of new and unique scarf trends to the forefront. One trend that stood out on the runway was incorporating the scarf into an outfit unlike its usual status as an accessory. We saw scarves works as blouses, make up a whole dress and even double up as short sarongs. Issey Miyake, Dries Van Noten, Atlein, Christian Wijnants and Veronique Leroy wrapped their models in multiple scarves that merged in with the look and didn’t merely stand out as individual accessories. We predict different interpretations of this trend in the spring of 2018.
4 Beg, Steal or Borrow your Grandma’s Silk Scarves
Fashion is a revolving door and what goes out comes back in again at some point in time. Silk scarves have been the antithesis of contemporary chic for a while now, and it is one accessory that is most likely to be associated with your grandma. But how times have changed! The silk scarf is back and is going to experience a revival of sorts in 2018. A good silk scarf is quite a load on the pocket, so it’s time to beg, steal or borrow from your grandma’s collection of silk scarves. The silk scarf trend in 2018 will be all about versatility, so we bet you will see them being paired up with all sorts of outfits that range from casuals, formals and even evening wear. Celine, Balenciaga and Acne Studios can be largely credited for bringing the silk scarf back by displaying an obvious bias for these accessories on the French runways.
3 Heavy Woolen Scarves
If you are put off by the idea of heavy woolen scarves, then we regret to inform you that such is the compromise you have to make for the sake of fashion in 2018. Chunky knit scarves are all set to be big in the fall of 2018, and these scarves will stand out as a statement piece for street fashion. So while you can expect the usual sight of skinny blue jeans and white tees, the rather oversized woolen scarf would be the piece de resistance of such a look. Once again, these woolen scarves are widely available and quite inexpensive, so we don’t see why you can’t rock this look.
2 Unique Ways to Wear the Scarf in 2018
2018 will encourage folks to get creative and adventurous with scarves, so you are bound to see people rocking this accessory in unique ways. The scarf will be worn on the waist, as a headband, and as a glorified choker.
1 Colors and Prints
If you are looking a direction to choose in terms of colors and prints for trendy scarves in 2018; the points listed below should be of adequate help. Read further to know more.
- Earthy shades of beige, cream, tan and even brown will also find favor with those who prefer lightweight linen scarves.
- The color palette for silk scarves will be endless; which is your ticket to get creative and experimental with these vintage accessories. However, keep in mind teals, emerald greens, aqua shades, pinks and reds as they are expected to dominate the silk scarf story.
- Geometric prints, floral prints, graphic prints and even tribal prints have been seen on the runway and may very well make their way to the streets.
- Heavy woolen scarves will come in vibrant colors like purple, navy blue, Prussian blue, army green and even pastel shades like cream, mauve and delicate shades of pink and lemon.
- The Hermes Resort 2018 show set a glamorous dark tone with buttery black silk scarves that are sure to find favor in the upcoming year.
- The quirky imagery of animals and humans are all set to add to the scarf print story in 2018.
- Dreary colors like charcoal black and shades of grey could very well be the predominant theme for heavy woolen scarves in 2018.
- Tie-dye is also all set to make a comeback, and we are all the better for it in 2018.